Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 1 - 532 Miles


Day 1 began as mentioned before in Portage, Indiana. We hit route 30 and took it into Illinois before heading south on 57. Driving in Illinois is very familiar; if I didn't know better I'd swear I drove down 65 in Indiana. I really thought the first day would be something to simply get through, but things changed quickly once we got into Missouri. First we drove through St. Louis, driving right past the Gateway Arch while an amazing air show was going on. Words don't do justice to seeing this live, I have no idea how many people were sitting at the base of the Arch watching the air show. It had to be in the 10,000+ range, I'll leave it at that! I have to say that driving in Missouri was a highlight that I was not counting on! Driving through the foothills of the Ozark Mountains was awesome, a slow roller coaster of a ride that gave us amazing views of miles of beautiful forests on a regular basis. We arrived at Springfield, Missouri and called it an evening. This evening an ugly cloud came in and threatened to storm, but as of now it hasn't really done anything. Hopefully tomorrow I'll blog from Texas!

I'm excited to say that I've never been this far west in my life! I know that's pretty sad, but what a way to change that in a hurry! Other than a few bumps in the road the day went smoothly and we'll be ready to move on tomorrow.

No comments: