Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 4 - 320 miles home


I woke at 2am on day 4. I didn't mean to wake up that early, but I was awaken by some kind of choking fit my dad was having and realized that I couldn't fall back asleep. At 2:30am I packed my things onto the ol' Harley for the last time and began my trip home. The first couple of hours were pretty uneventful, as the roads were clear and I was by myself most of the time. I swung past Springfield, Illinois and began heading north on 55. I stopped twice along the way, once for gas and another just to get off the bike for a while.

It wasn't until I got to Joliet and onto 80/94 east that it really hit me that my trip was ending at 3.25 days rather than the 10-12 that I had planned on. It was very nice to see Kari and the kids, but I have to admit that continue to be very disappointed in how my summer vacation ended so abruptly. I'm not sure what I would have done differently if I were to do it again. I had a great time for the time that I was on the road. It was fun and challenging, just what I'd hoped for. I road in several states for the first time, visited several major cities for the first time, and was a hop, skip, and a jump away from Texas before the big surprise hit me. I'm disappointed that nothing stopped us from continuing, we stopped ourselves.

There are some positive things!

First of all, I gained some valuable experience on the road. I learned how to pack my bags on my bike effectively, and also figured out some things that I'd change about my bike before I took on another trip like this. Another great thing is that I've already got two great leads on a bike trip for next year! I have a friend that might be interested in a fun road trip next summer, and Kari and I have talked many times about she and I hitting the road either with the kids or just her and I. I am signing off, thanks to those of you that followed me on my fun yet abbreviated summer motorcycle trip.

No comments: