Friday, May 16, 2008

Stink Bombs, Basketball Shoes, and Wrestlers, Oh My!


I thought I'd write a quick entry about the last few days of school here at Calumet. Early this week we had a Health Fair here at school. The Health Fair was held in the gym and included many local colleges and other programs specifically designed to promote healthy life time decisions.


This week we've had a few pranksters that were letting off stink bombs here at school. The stink bombs give off a rotten egg smell (not unlike my buddy Shooter), and this morning they finally caught and suspended a few of the culprits. They don't mess around here, we have a camera system that is used on a regular basis. The three boys that were caught were given 5 day suspensions. Ouch! There are some days when I wish I could get a 5 day suspension.


I've been brow beating the basketball players this week to pay up for this past seasons basketball shoes. I wish I could pull a "Rocky" and break a few thumbs, that would make the process much easier. Our last coach basically handed the boys $75 shoes and said "pay when you can!" Well, several months later that strategy hasn't worked, he resigned, so I'm left to collect the money so we can use it to pay for summer camps. My freshman boys have all paid up months ago, but the jayvee and varsity are a different story. Great way to start off my varsity stay here, playing the heavy and leaning on kids for shoe money. :(


I just got done reading a book about Dan Gable, the legendary wrestler and wrestling coach from Iowa. The book was sitting on my co-workers desk (Andy Trevino, former Indiana State High School Championship wrestler 44-0 his senior year!) when I asked if I could borrow it. Guess what! His success came from his focus, intensity, and passionate hard work! No secret there! In honor of the great Dan Gable I decided to include a "Welcome to the Gun Show" picture for the day. This immense show of power is common in the Nelson household, it's how we get what we want in life. :)

1 comment:

Grammy said...

You are going to be in big trouble with Jaecy when she grows up finds out you posted this picture!